Resources for Cancer Patients & Caregivers
For Young Adults
- The I’m Too Young For This! Cancer Foundation is a non-profit organization that empowers young adults affected by cancer through innovative and award-winning programs and services
- Planet Cancer is a gathering place for young adults, which includes cancer comics, advice, cancertainment, news, current research, and forums
- The Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults is a leading voice in the young adult cancer movement, that works at a grassroots level to support, educate, connect and empower young adults with cancer
- Young Survival Coalition is a non-profit organization oriented to support and educate young women with breast cancer
- Fertile Hope is a national LIVESTRONG initiative dedicated to providing reproductive information, support and hope to cancer patients and survivors whose medical treatments present the risk of infertility
- MyOncofertility.org is an organization dedicated to providing reproductive information, support, and hope to cancer patients and survivors at risk for infertility.
Cancer Hats and Scarves:
- Fat Thumb Chick makes t-shirt beanies cut and created with a special design that are fun and comfortable. In honor of her mother and a friend, she has made and given away more than 1,000 hats
- Head Huggers knits hats for chemo patients and sends them out for free.
- Heavenly Hats is an all volunteer organization which provides hats free of charge to cancer patients
- Good Wishes is a partnership that sends beautiful L. Erickson scarves to anyone losing their hair as a result of illness or treatment
Wigs and Makeup:
- Look Good … Feel Better is a program of the American Cancer Society that helps women in treatment to choose a wig, scarf, or hat and to apply makeup that will make the most of any cancer-related changes in appearance. Every participant goes home with a goody bag of makeup. Sessions are free at most American hospitals with an oncology unit
Help With Household Chores:
- Cleaning for a Reason is a professional maid service that cleans the homes of cancer patients for free
- Cleaning for Cancer is a national non-profit organization dedicated to providing free residential cleaning services to cancer patients undergoing treatment
- Food and Friends provides meals, groceries and nutrition counseling to people living with life-challenging illnesses such as AIDS and cancer
- Care Calendar is an organizational tool that makes it easier for your friends and family to help out with meals or rides to appointments. Once the calendar is set up, individuals can log on to sign up for bringing meals, etc. without having the burden on a single point of contact! And it’s FREE!
Medical Bills and Prescriptions:
- Cancer Care Assist provides transportation to and from cancer treatment, as well as home care and child care
- The National Cancer Institute offers a comprehensive listing of government agencies and organizations designed to provide assistance for patients and families.
- The First Mile Foundation provides financial support to families and individuals to alleviate the added everyday stresses associated with cancer
- NeedyMeds, Inc provides links to pharmaceutical companies and other organizations that have patient assistance programs
- Patient Access Network Foundation assists insured patients who cannot afford the out-of-pocket expenses associated with their treatment
- Patient Advocate Foundation provides professional case management services to Americans with chronic, life threatening and debilitation illnesses. They will searve as active liaisons between the patient and their insurer, employer and/or creditors
- Together Rx Access offers a free prescription savings card for eligible U.S. and Puerto Rico residents who have no prescription drug coverage, are not eligible for Medicare, and meet certain income guidelines
- Social Security Disability payments are also an option for patients with life expectancies of 2 years or less, or with certain types of very agressive cancer, if the patient cannot work
- Air Care Alliance is a trade organization with a comprehensive online listing of organizations that provide patient air transportation for free to ambulatory and medically stable people to access care.
- The National Patient Travel Center provides information about charitable, long-distance medical air transportation and provides referrrals to all appropriate sources of help available.